Who we see
The service is for children and young people under the age of 18 who have been raped or sexually assaulted, however long ago the incident occurred. We also see young people over the age of 18 with learning difficulties as our service is often better suited to help them.
It provides services for children and young people who:
- Live in the East Midlands or
- Have been raped or sexually assaulted in the East Midlands
The six counties which make up the East Midlands region are:
Please speak to one of our advisors on 0800 183 0023 if you are unsure whether a referral to our service is appropriate.
Rape and Sexual Assault
The term ‘rape and sexual assault’ is used on the website to cover a range of sexual offences against children and young people which warrant referral to the centre, including:
- Rape occurs when someone puts their penis into (penetrates) the vagina, anus or mouth of another person without their consent
- Assault by penetration is when someone puts another part of their body, or an object, into another person’s vagina or anus without that person’s consent
- Sexual assault is when someone touches another person in a sexual way, without that person’s consent
- Non-contact child sexual abuse involves non-touching activities, such as grooming, exploitation, flashing and persuading children to perform sexual acts over the internet
- Child sexual exploitation (CSE) occurs where an individual or group takes advantage of an imbalance of power to coerce, manipulate or deceive a child or young person into sexual activity in exchange for something the victim needs or wants, and/or for the financial advantage or increased status of the perpetrator or facilitator